Join the Good Evening, Tonight team!
Good Evening, Tonight is Highwire Comedy’s weekly, late-night style, news comedy show. We are looking for talented and energetic people to help us create an hour of hilarious news-related content each week. If you’re looking for opportunities to perform great material and to improve your joke and sketch writing, this is the show for you.
Being part of the Good Evening, Tonight team is a lot of fun and a great way to grow as a writer and performer. It is also a significant time commitment (typically 8-12 hours a week). We have writers’ meetings on Tuesday nights from 7-9 and Saturdays from 11am-3pm and 6pm-9pm (8:00 is Showtime). We typically have one week off a month, but team members are expected to be consistently present during show weeks.
We are looking to add to our team:
- Writer/Performers (see call for packets below)
- Graphics and Tech Persons (see job description below).
- Applicants with video production skills interested in working with our team to generate video content for the show and our web outlets. If interested, please email samples of your work to email@example.com
To be considered for the writing/performing team, please put together a packet of original material and submit it by 11:59pm on November 5, 2017. For your packet:
1) Write ten original, news desk/monologue-style jokes (e.g., “The French Olympic team announced they will not travel to the winter Olympics in South Korea if tensions with the North do not ease. The French also announced they are pre-surrendering for World War 3.”) You can write one joke per news story or multiple punchlines for the same story. Jokes don’t need to be about politics but should be about current news. You may include a few jokes with visual punchlines by either submitting the graphic or just describing what the visual gag would be.
2) Pitch two original desk bits (a desk bit is usually a short list: “Rejected names for the Newly Discovered Octopus City”, or a rant: “How ‘bout Nah, Brah!”). Describe the idea for the desk bit and give a couple of examples or a write a few sentences.
3) Come up with a comedic character who has an opinion about something in the news. (e.g., SNL's Olya Povlatsky or GET’s Delilah St. James). Describe the character, their point of view, and what news story they would comment on. Write a guest interview for this character on Good Evening, Tonight. (About two pages)
4) Describe something you have seen on Good Evening, Tonight that you particularly liked and share what you liked about it. Also, tell us a little something about why you want to be part of the show.
Completed packets should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59pm on November 5, 2017.
Graphics and Tech Team Job Description:
The visual humor our team creates is a vital part of our show. We are looking for creative people with Adobe Photoshop skills, an interest in comedy, and a willingness to jump into the chaos of a live, weekly show. Our tech team mainly works Saturdays from 3pm to 9pm. Graphics are the last thing that gets added to the show, which means visuals are created while the show is still being written and edited. The graphics team often works right up to the start of the show. It is exciting, but a calm attitude under pressure and flexibility with last minute changes are a must. You will also need to have your own copy of Photoshop on your laptop. If you are interested in joining our tech team please contact our Tech Director, Bret Brammer, at email@example.com